National Area, Volunteer and Media Awards 2017
Clare can be very proud of the many awards won at the National Area, Volunteer and Media Award ceremony which took place in Johnstown House Estate in Co. Meath on Saturday 25th November.
Huge congratulations to Doora/Barefield taking the Provincial and National awards. Also to Killaloe on receiving the small area award, Tom Loughnane on receiving the adult volunteer award, Ronan Wall on receiving the youth volunteer award and also Arthur Ellis from The Clare Champion on receiving a media award for best published photo and Clare Community Games also received a media award for the website.
Well done everyone - a great way to wrap up 2017!
Clare were well represented at the recent National Awards held at the Cavan Crystal Hotel. Congratulations to Mark Nestor (Ennis, St. Johns) Youth Volunteer, Brendan Cusack (LKDD) Adult Volunteer, Feakle (Small Area Award) and Doora/Barefield (Large Area Award and also Munster Winner).
AUGUST NATIONAL FESTIVAL RESULTS - 2017
St Francis Credit Union Clare Community Games did extremely well in the National finals held over the weekend in the National Sports Campus in Abbottstown. The 180 children who participated did themselves, their area & County proud. They took part in a wide variety of sporting & cultural events. They achieved 9 firsts, 17 seconds, 2 Thirds & 8 Fourth places. Make a total of 109 medals. A large number of children reached the finals but were unlucky not to be in the medals. The standard was extremely high in most competitions. Some children won two medals including Gabriel Kehinde who won silver in Saturday in their relay and Gold on Sunday morning in his 100m U16 which was a brilliant finish to his career in Community Games as he is over age nest year. Brothers Morgan & Jack Leahy From Cratloe won Gold medals in U10 & U14 Model Making this was not Jacks first national title. Zoe Quinn from Tulla won a silver medal in the u11 project then went ahead to win another silver in u10 Model Making.
Well done to all the Clare participants at the National Festival up in Athlone at the weekend (14-16 August) and many thanks to county and team managers, parents and supporters. A great weekend by all accounts! Check out the Clare Community Games Facebook page or the Community Games Facebook page for some good photos or their website for full results.
- U16 Boys Pitch and Putt: Ennis St John's - Darren O Brien, Harry Talty, Ross O Flaherty, Jack Connolly and Frank Roche (Darren O'Brien - hole in one)
- U16 Girls Pitch and Putt: Ennis St John's - Ellie Kinnevane, Emma McCarthy, Caoimhe Meehan, Isabel O’Neill (Caoimhe Meehan - best overall score)
- U13 Choir: Quin/Clooney - Lauren Wall, Séamus Fitzgerald, Niamh Magee, Alice Larkin, Sarah Rochford, Karen O'Sullivan, Aisling McHugh, Clíodhna Ryan, Ella Taylor, Sara Hassett, Grainne Lennon, Lara Begg, Rachel Rusk, Ellie McNamara, Caoimhe Downey, Freida Parker, Ella Clifford, Maeve Wall, Isaac O'Sullivan
- U14 Model Making: Paul Hamilton, Sixmilebridge/Kilmurry
- U14 Boys Breastroke: Eoin Rouine, Ennistymon/Lahinch/Liscannor
- U13 Cross Country Relay (County Team): Sinead Lillis, Shauna O'Gorman, Laura Quinlivan, Saskia Morrissey (Cooraclare/Cree); Nadine Pender, Paul Frawley (Miltown Malbay); Mark Hanrahan, Matthew Power (Doora/Barefield); Cillian McGroary (Corofin/Kilnaboy)
- U13 Boys Futsal: Ennis St John's - Michael Mongans, Michael Barrow, Jack Kenneally, Robbie Cormley, Michael Foley, Patrick Sholarin and Nathan Hayes
- U12 Girls Handwriting: Niamh Quinlivan, Kilmihil
- U10 Girls Freestlye: Ava Rochford, Ennis St Johns
- U16 Girls Squad: Doora/Barefield - Amy Lenihan, Laura McDonnell, Tara McEvoy, Aisling Reidy
- U11 Tag Rugby: Quin/Clooney - John Cahill, David Considine, Dannan Fox, Aidan Keating, Emer Magee, Orna Moynahan, Claire Murphy, Roisin O'Mullane, Jack O'Neill, Eva Rusk, Sam Scanlan
- U16 Girls Pitch and Putt: Ennis St John's - Chloe Blessington, Alice Cullinane, Aisling Slouch, Aoife Maher, Eva Whyte
- U14 Girls Mixed Distance Relay: Ailbhe Doherty (Ennis, St. Johns), Niamh Conlon (Cooraclare/Cree), Claire McNamara (Killanena/Flagmount), Lucy Flanagan (Miltown Malbay), Ruth Ferguson (Carrigaholt/Cross), Aine Talty (Miltown Malbay)
- U13 Girls Indoor Soccer: Ennis St John's - Naoimi O Shaughnessy, Amidat Karimu, Candice Brennan, Chisom Ugwueru, Darlene Oyenjekwe, Sharifa Noor
- U13 Cross Country (Individual): Sinead Lillis, Cooraclare
- U10 Boys Model Making: Shane Leahy, Cratloe
- U12 Boys Model Making: Jack Leahy, Cratloe
- U13 Chess: Shannon - Rafew Ahmed, Elijah Andres, Joshua Cesar, Conor McCormaic, Adam McCoy, Sam Meaney, Thomas Power
- U8 Boys Freestyle: Brendan Minogue, Killaloe
- U10 Boys Freestyle: Oisin Minogue, Killaloe
- U8 Girls Art: Ali May Cowper, Ennistymon/Lahinch/Liscannor
- U13 Cross Country (Individual): Mark Hanrahan, Doora/Barefield
- U16 Chess: Shannon - Joseph Cesar, Jessica Danaher, Leon Pino, Darren Pradeep, Donal Pradeep, Ronan Singpurwala
4th Place Medals
- U12 Boys Freestyle: Tiarnan Nijs, Derg
- U10 Girls Backstroke: Elin Blake, Doora/Barefield
- U16 Girls Backstroke: Ivana Pyne, Ennis St Johns
See below for a full list of participants over the course of the weekend.
Well done to all the Clare participants at the National Festival up in Athlone at the weekend (21-23 August) and many thanks to county and team managers, parents and supporters. A great weekend by all accounts and a fitting tribute to the last Clare Community Games President, John O'Sullivan. Check out the Community Games Facebook page for some good photos or their website for full results.
- U16 Boys 100m: Tony Odubote - Ennis St John's
- U14 Girls 800m: Ailbhe Doherty - Ennis St John's
- U14 Girls Long Jump: Chisom Ugweuru - Ennis St John's
- U16 Boys Triple Jump: Joseph Miniter - Kilrush
- U14 Girls Long Puck: Caoimhe Kelly - Kilkishen/O'Callaghan's Mills
- U12 Boys Long Puck: Keith Smith - Killanena/Flagmount
- U13 Solo Music: Liam Browne, Cooraclare/Cree
- U12 Girls 4x100m Relay: Ennis St John's - Damilola Adesina, Niamh Cassidy, Gladis Emenike, Jessica Jagielska, Sammie Ojulari, Naoimi O'Shaughnessy
- U14 Girls 4 x 100m Relay: Ennis St John's - Rachel Adesiyan, Ailbhe Doherty, Amidat Karimu, Sonia Ogbuagu, Chisom Ugwueru
- U10 Boys 100m: Samuel Olaoye - Ennis St John's
- U16 Boys Marathon (Individual): Donal Devane - Doora/Barefield
- U12 Boys 600m: Diarmuid Fahy - Ennistymon/Lahinch/Liscannor
- U10 Boys 200m: William Bello - Ennis St John's
- U15 Girls Badminton: Killaloe - Linda Daly, Susan Daly, Rachel Daly and Jennifer Daly
- U16 Solo Music: Catriona O'Gorman - Kilmihil
- U14 Boys 4x100m Relay: Ennis St John's - Tunmise Badewa, Gabriel Kehinde, Daniel Ohiku, David Ondwudine and Derek Sholarin
- U14 Boys 800m: Cathal McKeogh - Derg
- U16 Judo (25kg): Aidan O'Connell - Ennis St John's
4th Place Medals
- U12 Boys 4x100m Relay: Ennis St John's - Juve Eletu, Cian O’Boyle, Efe Opouro, Colin Ryan and Andrew Ugwueru
- U16 Boys Discus: Daragh Miniter - Kilrsh
- U16 Mixed 4x200m Relay: Kilrush - Daragh Miniter, Joseph Miniter, Chantel Burke, Emer Fennell
- U16 Solo Dance: Emily Byrne - Killaloe
- U9 Girls Gymnastics: Leilani Kent - Inch/Kilmaley/Connolly
- U10 Girls 200m: Holly O'Boyle - Ennis St John's
- U12 Girls 100m: Damilola Adesina - Ennis St John's
- U12 Girls Ball Throw: Naoimi O'Shaughnessy - Ennis St John's
- U16 Boys Discus: Daragh Miniter - Kilrush
- U14 Boys Javelin: Blake Curran - Shannon
- U10 Gaelic Football: Shannon - Conor Fitzgerald,Niall Fitzgerald, Tadgh Fitzgerald, Donal Og Harrington, Lennon Hodges, Blake Kelliher, Kai Legge, Christopher Meaney, Shane Mulrooney, Sean Murphy, Sean O'Brien, Dara O'Callaghan, Ben O'Connell, Alex O'Donnell, Georgie Pyke, Colin Riordan
The first of the two Community Games National Festival weekends took place last weekend, 12-14 August and 220 competitors from all across the county took part in a variety of events. For a full list of all competitors and placings, please check here. St Francis Credit Union Clare Community Games returned home with a massive haul of medals and plenty of happy children with memories to cherish and new friends to connect with. Well done to all concerned, not least to all the volunteers who make this happen. Have a look at this nice letter from the Irish Times today from a Quin supporter and check out this piece from the Irish Independent in which the Foleys from Killaloe extol the virtues of Community Games!
The second of the two Community Games National Festival weekends took place last weekend, 19-21 August and 112 competitors from all across the county took part in a variety of events. For a full list of all competitors and placings, please check here. St Francis Credit Union Clare Community Games returned home with a another haul of medals and plenty of happy children with memories to cherish and new friends to connect with. Well done to all concerned, not least to all the volunteers who make this happen. Check out these pieces in the Independent and Irish Times. Also, be sure to catch the 9 O'Clock News on RTE Player (about 10 mins in) before it expires.
The St Francis Credit Union Community Games children did extremely well having great success at the National Community Games finals which were held in the beautiful facilites in U.L. In ideal weather conditions over the weekend of 17-19 August. The standard in all events were extremely high and some Clare children were unlucky not to be in the medals. Of the 187 children from Clare who participated 114 brought home medals. Clare got Gold in 1 Individual and two teams, Silver three Individual and two teams, Bronze in three Individual and four teams, 4th place Pewter medal in four Individual and three teams. The individual gold went to Clodagh O'Hagan from Kilkishen/O'Callaghans Mills/Oatfield when she put in a fantastic sprint in the U8 80m event to beat off the opposition. Gold went to the two Quin/Clooney teams in both Skittles and Tag Rugby.The first Clare medal of the weekend came on Saturday morning when Ella Dillon from Meelick/Coonagh put in a fantastic jump to win Silver in the High Jump.
The St Francis Credit Union Clare Community Games were well represented in the Aldi National Community Games finals in Abbottstown Sports Campus on Sat 6th May. This is the first time in a nuber of years that the weekend 1 of the finals was held in May. For the past number of years both weekends were held in August. One hundred and thirty six children from nineteen areas across the county represented Clare in the finals – in Gymnastics, Judo, Swimming, Swimming Squads, Cross Country, Mixed Distance Relays U12 & U14, Marathon, Quiz, Chess U13 & U16, Tag Rugby U14, Girls Outdoor Soccer U15. A number of these children are no strangers to the national finals which previously have been held in Athlone I.T. – Killaloe brothers Brendan & Oisin Minogue have previously won medals in swimming finals. Others who have been to national finals previously Ava Rochford, Eoin Rouine, Ella Doherty, Cian O'Boyle, Caoimhe Cahill, Shauna O'Gorman, Rachel Hartigan, Ronan Donnellan & Ben Whelehan. James Rochford will be representing Ennis St Johns in both U11 gymnastics & U11 Chess.
Well done to all those who took part and especially the many proud medal winners, representing their areas and our county. Full results are available here.
The Community Games May National Festival took place in the University of Limerick on the weekend of 26th/27th May. St Francis Credit Union Clare Community Games participants had great success in the Aldi National Finals 207 children from Clare participated in a wide variety of Sporting & Cultural events. They came first in 15 events, second in 12, third in 13 & fourth in 6 - a total of 61 Gold, 32 Silver, 42 Bronze & 18 4th place medals and a grand total of 153 which were spread across 25 areas a brilliant achievement. All other participants competed with distinction. There was great excitement, outstanding performances, super talent, skill, personal bests and great fun. It was a fantastic weekend for Clare. Well done to all the participants, coaches and especially the parents. A big thank you also to our Clare sponsors the St. Francis Credit Union. Full results are available on the Community Games website and full Clare results are available below, thanks to PRO Mary Phelan.
Listen to John Wall and Sean Lenihan speaking to Derrick Lynch on Clare FM's Sideline View on Friday evening.
St Francis Credit Union Clare Community Games will have over 330 children from across the County participating in a large number of both individual & team events in the National Finals in Athlone during August. The finals will be held over two weekends 12th - 14th Aug with 220 competitors and 19th - 21st with 112 competitors in both sporting & cultural events. Competitors can only take part in one individual and one team event but may also compete in an athletic relay or swimming squad. Clare has a very proud record at the finals and expectations are high that this year will be even better. Clare has won medals in the U13 Cross Country nearly every year since its inception and is looking forward to participating to their best.