Girls Gaelic Football 2017
The St Francis Credit Union Clare Community Games U12 girls Gaelic Football competitions took place on Sunday 30th April in Clooney GAA pitch. It was coordinatd by Kieran Harvey & Martha Deegan. The standard was high with Doora Barefield coming out as winners and the honour to represent Clare in the Munster Finals in U.L. on 1st July.
See more photos on Facebook courtesy of Mary Loughnane.
Community Games meant just that on Sunday 21st May when sister faced sister and best friends marked each other as two teams from the one community, Doora Barefield, met each other in the final of the Community Games County U14 Ladies Football Final in Gurteen. The Parish fielded two of the eight teams participating and ended up playing each other in the Final. The Doora Barefield Maroon team, made up of the older girls, took home the gold medals on a score line of 4-02 to 0-02 and go on to represent the County in the Munster competition to be held in UL in July. Their younger Club mates in the Doora Barefield White team, won silver and great experience for next years competition when all of them will still be underage.
The competition provided some excellent games with some high scoring, most notably Quin Clooney’s comprehensive win over Carrigaholt/Cross and Lisdoonvarna’s strong finish over a very good Cooraclare Cree team. Clarecastle/Ballyea scored two great goals in their opening game but were unlucky to come up against a very strong Doora Barefield maroon team, the eventual winners. Quin Clooney finished third and won bronze medals after an epic battle with Lisdoonvarna in the third/fourth playoff. Nothing separated the sides at full time and the score was still even at the end of Extra time. A short period of sudden death was required before Quin Clooney scored a pressure point to win on a score line of 2-06 to 2-05. Co-ordinator of the event, Seán Lenihan was delighted with how the day went. “The weather stayed dry, the pitches were in fantastic shape and there was plenty of home baking available for the visitors to enjoy in the Club canteen! I want to especially thank St Josephs for providing the facilities, our two Refs Grainne Nolan and Mia Hanrahan, County Secretary Mary Loughnane for attending, the parents who umpired and the Club and Community Games Committee members who helped out in the canteen and the tuck shop. All involved had a great day which is exactly what Community Games and Sport in general should be about.”
- Doora/Barefield – Aislinn Carey, Ella Courtney, Aoibhinn Creaven, Avril Creaven, Avril Lillis, Ellen Mannion, Kate Moran, Niamh Mulligan, Eabha O'Driscoll, Ellis O'Flaherty, Lucy Power, Jane Quinn, Lauren Quinn, Sophie Torpey, Lauren Newman.
- Quin/Cloobey – Eabha Brennan, Ellen Collins, Shauna Daffy, Jessica Devane, Helena Downes, Ellie Doyle, Caitlin Dunne, Ellie Griffiths, Megan Hassett, Zara Kirby, Lucy Leamy, Emer Magee, Lucy O'Donnell, Muireann O'Mullane, Eva Rusk, Tara Stritch.
- Cooraclare/Cree – Amy Corry, Ciara Culligan, Aoibhe Hehir, Lauren Kampft, Aisling Kelly, Isabelle Kelly, Lisa Kelly, Aoife Lillis, Chloe Lillis, Aisling Lynch, Karen McMahon, Aimee McNamara, Ava O'Connell, Ciara O'Connell, Lily O'Dea. Karina O'Leary.
- Kilmurry Ibrickane – Nicola Sexton, Kayla Darcy, Meagan Downes, Rachael Griffin, Ellie Hanrahan, Sarah Meade, Niamh Miller, Grace Montgomery, Chloe O'Brien, Caitlyn O'Connor, Luisne O'Dea, Ellen O'Donoghue, Emma Scullane, Katelyn Shanahan, Sarah Talty.
- Doora/Barefiel Maroon – Aoife Byrne, Katie Callaghan, Anna Cosgrove, Riona Daly, Grace Kennedy, Ava Lenihan, Niamh Meaney, Laura Mescall, Ciara Mulligan, Caoilfhionn Ni Chonaill, Sinead O’Connor, Oriana O’Shea, Monarosa Romano, Jessica Roughan, Lucy Scullion, Ella Bohannon.
- Doora/Barefield White – Eimear Clune, Laura Butler, Emma Clune, Aela Daly, Hannah Doyle, Millie Hadden, Gemma Leathem, Aimee McDonagh, Aisling McDonagh, Emma McGrath, Caoilainn McNamara, Holly O’Loughlin, Amber Piggot, Aoinheann Rahilly, Dearbhla Railly.
- Quin/Clooney – Lucy Cassidy, Sarah Considine Kelly, Rachel Daffy, Holly Deegan, Anna Doyle, Sarah Manley, Aisling McHugh, Ellie McNamara, Niamh Morris, Orna Moynihan, Roisin O’Mullane, Karen O’Sullivan, Emma Quinn, Rachel Rusk, Lauren Wall.
- Lisdoonvarna/Doolin/Kilfenora/Kilshanny – Sadhbh Blood, Caitlin Burke, Beth Clarke, Teresa Collins, Niamh Harrington, Aine Hegarty, Lucy King, Aoibhinn Murrihy, Aisling O’Brien, April O’Callaghan, Mary Kate O’Dwyer, Shauna O’Kane, Rachel O’Keeffe.